the date is set: Sunday, May 15, 2011

race: Toronto Goodlife Fitness Half-Marathon

goal: 1 hour, 58 minutes

Monday, February 14, 2011

In the spirit of LOVE...

Today is Valentine’s Day. The day of all things romantic, pink and lovely. In the spirit of this holiday, I’ve decided to dedicate this week’s blog to why running is loved by millions. A little research was needed to back up my initial ideas. Here’s what my findings consisted of:

Quite simply, running makes me happy. After I run, I feel good. My mind is clear. If I’ve been grappling with a problem, suddenly, I’m overwhelmed with the answer to solve it. Even after a long run, I have more energy and feel overall, accomplished. This state of clarity brings contentment and ultimately, happiness. I definitely am a firm believer in the “runner’s high” myth.
New York Times: "Yes, Running Can Make You High"

So, my question was this: Is the “runner’s high” an actual myth? Or, is it biologically proven that running makes you happy? I’m sure you’ve all wondered the same thing…

Well, you’re in luck, because I have discovered the answer. Actually, the New York Times discovered the answer back in March, 2008 when they published the article “Yes, Running Can Make You High.”

The article explains that years of theories suggested chemicals, called endorphins, were released while running or enduring other forms of intense exercise. Years ago, it was difficult for theorists to prove the endorphin-hypothesis. Now, neuroscience has proven that a) Running does in fact release endorphins in the brain, and b) those endorphins do produce a change in mood.  Interestingly enough, Dr. Boecker claims that endorphins produced by running attach themselves to the areas of the brain associated with love and euphoria, causing the feelings of happiness. 

The intensity of the run correlates to the amount of endorphins produced, and therefore, the overall feeling of euphoria that the runner experiences. The study also demonstrated a relationship between runners and increased pain tolerance, due to their rate of endorphins produced.

So, there it is: the “runner’s high” isn’t a myth after all. 

Happy Valentine’s & Happy Running! 

7 comments:

  1. What a great blog for Valentines Day! I agree with you that working out makes you happy. In fact, when I was a Brock, I was part of a study that was testing the relationship between high intensity physical movement and mental well being. After the workout I felt great, and ever since have tried to stay active to help relieve stress. Just reading this makes me want to go for a run. Thanks Britt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that running makes you feel happier. Any type of exercise makes me feel great afterwards actually. And when I listen to my iPod, I feel even better! Great post and thanks for letting us know that the runners high is not just a myth. Definitely going to the gym tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - that sounds like such an interesting study! I agree, although I didn't mention it in my blog, stress relief is another added benefit of exercise and running. Definitely one we can benefit from with the stresses of school, and upcoming jobs! :)

    Sam - I totally agree, I have to have my iPod on for that extra boost!! Have fun at the gym today girly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of Elle in Legally Blonde 2 when she says " running produces endorphins, endorphins make you happy, and happy people just do not kill their husbands!"
    I can relate to this post a lot, I could be in the worst mood ever but after some vigorous cardio I feel like a new person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love running for so many reasons, but I think the greatest reason is because of how energetic and positive I feel afterwards. I don't get the same feeling from using a stationary bike or even an elliptical. I think what makes running so incredible is that you have to work so much harder - there is nothing to lean on when you get tired and if you don't retrace your steps, you do get back home! Clearly running is not the easy way out of exercise, which makes it that much better when you complete one.
    Happy Running to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie- you're so cute...I totally know the line you are talking about! Yes, it does remind me of it now too! :)

    Catherine - I completely agree, I don't have any sort of the same feeling as an elliptical or stationary bike...even if I have worked hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to run, long time agooooooo and I loved it, now i know why.... I don't have to much time left right now to do it. I really admire people who exercise, it is to much dedication. Cheers for your plans of running in a complete marthon, good for you!!

    ReplyDelete