the date is set: Sunday, May 15, 2011

race: Toronto Goodlife Fitness Half-Marathon

goal: 1 hour, 58 minutes

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Where are you, Spring?

As February comes to a close, in all honesty, I’m feeling nervous about my commitment to run this marathon. If there is one positive spin to this fact, it’s that the main reason for this uncertainty is blamed on a consistently negative thermometer.
Last week, I broke free from the confinement of the gym when Niagara experienced a temporary flash of spring.  The soaring temperatures helped to lift my motivation, as I couldn’t wait to get away from the humdrum of the treadmill.
Similar to the first run of a training program, the first outdoor run of the year is equally as exhilarating and energizing.  Unfortunately, my first outdoor run of the year did not fall into this category. It wasn’t due to a terrible illness this time, but rather my silly decision-making.
As a runner of almost five years, I try to always abide by the golden rule: prior to your run, be aware of what you eat and the time you eat it at.
Here comes the silly decision-making:
As we all know, a sudden burst of sunshine and warmth makes us want to go out, visit with friends, and enjoy! Naturally, dinner and drinks with a couple of girlfriends seemed like the perfect option. Before I knew it, I had devoured a delicious Gnocchi dish accompanied by two glasses of Riesling.  After dinner, feeling fabulous, I figured that feeling would transfer to my run planned for later that evening.
My hopes were dashed about five minutes into the run when I was already struggling with an uncomfortable full feeling and the occasional side pain. Needless to say, my pace was sedated and slow. Again, not the burst of speed that I figured the adrenaline from the first outdoor run would give me. I managed a measly 5km.
Within 24 hours, the thermometer plummeted again. Disappointed by my poor planning, I forced myself to get outside and try again – this time, on a light stomach with only Greek yogurt and nuts.
The result? Although not nearly as balmy out, (even mittens and hat were needed) an 8km run felt great and re-charged my energy for spring training. According to Running Magazine, trainers recommend that 60% of training is completed outdoors to prepare for the real deal.
Basically, I need to step it up!
 ….Let’s all cross our fingers for mild temperatures in the very near future.

            Happy Running

7 comments:

  1. The warm weather was a nice change - I wish it had stayed. It's a lot nicer to be outside, whether it's running - or more likely in my case, walking :)

    Looking forward to hearing how all the training and preparation pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt, I admire your perseverance when it comes to running. I always wished I could just step outside and run for hours on end. I've heard it's exhilarating. How did you first get involved with running, and how do you actually run for more than 3km at a time (without keeling over, short of breath)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your dedication. It is hard to run in the winter time and even being able to run 5km is fantastic. I am wondering, seeing as you are training to do a half marathon, what would you suggest to people who want to start running to do now, or even when the weather becomes warmer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that warm weather is a huge motivation when going for a run. Good for you for bundling up and still running 8 km in the cold- I don't think I could have done it. Hopefully you got a run in later this afternoon, it was so nice out. Can't wait to hear more about your progress and program!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the warm weather hit I also took the opportunity to get outside and go for a run. I pretty much experienced almost the exact same thing, I was almost too excited to get outside that I didn't really prepare myself. My first run of the "spring" season was pathetic, I hope I will only progress from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the fantastic comments, Ladies! :)
    Steph & Megan -- I'm a firm believer that anyone can begin to run. Start out in small intervals. For example, if you can only run for 2 minutes, then run at a good pace for those 2 minutes and then walk for 5 minutes. If you keep repeating that process, over time, you WILL build up. And FAST too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The warmer weather has been a much needed change for me also. Keep up the hard work Britt, it is sure to pay off.

    ReplyDelete